“This must stop because we cannot continue killing one another as Africans who belong to the same continent,” President Zuma said during an interview with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on Wednesday night.
President Zuma called for calm as the attacks on foreign nationals spread from Durban to Pietermaritzburg on Wednesday.
The attacks, which started last week, have resulted in the deaths of several people in the province.
The attacks have also spread to Gauteng, with an Ethiopian man allegedly being attacked on Wednesday in Johannesburg’s CBD.
“What is happening in our country is not acceptable. We condemn this… [as] people are being attacked and killed,” the President said.