Dr. Scott Firsing
Tel: +27 (0)12 337 6082
Dr Scott Firsing is a current research fellow at the IGD. His research focuses on United States-Africa relations, and the international relations of Africa more generally.
His other current appointments include serving as the Director of the North American International School (NAIS) in Pretoria, the Director of Public Engagement at the Aerospace Leadership Academy and CEO of a research consultancy LINK Advisory. Dr Firsing is also an Adjunct Research Fellow at Monash University, South Africa where he previously served as a Senior Lecturer and Head of the International Studies Department. The founder of the African NGO Young People in International Affairs, Scott is a former employee of the United Nations, Department for Disarmament Affairs, and a former Bradlow Fellow at the South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA).
Scott received his bachelors degree from Rutgers University, USA, his Masters from American Public University and his Doctorate from the University of South Africa (UNISA). His doctoral thesis examined US-South Africa relations from 1994-2008.
- Firsing, S, 2014. Africa’s Militaries and their Role in Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding: The Case Studies of Ethiopia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South African Journal of International Affairs, Vol 21, No 1 (Forthcoming).
- Firsing, S, 2014. The Globalization and Proliferation of al-Qaeda in Africa: The Case of Boko Haram in Ewi, Martin, Boko Haram and Terrorism in Nigeria, Institute for Security Studies, Pretoria, South Africa (Forthcoming).
- Firsing, S, & Williams, O., 2013. Increased Chinese and American Defense Involvement in Africa, Defense & Security Analysis, Vol 29, No 2. –
- Firsing, S. 2013. Special Report: Why Obama’s visit to Africa matters. South African Institute for International Affairs, 25 June. –
- Firsing, S. 2012. The Expansion of US-South Africa Defense Relations. Defence Studies. Vol. 12, No. 2.
- Firsing, S. 2012. Asymmetry as context: the rollercoaster of South Africa-US relations post 1994. South African Journal of International Affairs. Vol 19, No 1.
- Firsing, S. 2012. South Africa, the United States and the Fight against Islamic Extremism. Democracy and Security, Vol 8, No 1.
- Firsing, S. 2011. BRICS Diamond Diplomacy in Angola, Journal of History and Diplomatic Studies, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Nigeria, Vol. 8. – Firsing, S. 2011. America and UN Peacekeeping: A Fresh Perspective, Journal for International Peace Operations. Vol. 7, No. 1. July/August.